Thursday 1 January 2015

Suffering for the Truth

Ever since I was a child, I always found it important to stand up for the truth.  I'm talking about the truth that is only found in Scripture.  My childhood church turned emergent during the 1990's.  I noted that something was wrong right away.  My family had held on there for years because of our friendships that we had there.  We knew that if we left we would lose them.  (Sounds like great friends eh?)  I was only taught Arminian doctrine.
Eventually, there was a complete exodus of most of the members of this church.  The next church my family attended went emergent and word of faith.  I didn't know these terms back then.  I just knew something was wrong.  During my time at this church, I got married and had my daughter.  My parents and siblings continued to attend along with us.  One Sunday the pastor of the church announced that any who disagreed with the direction of the church could find their way to the nearest exit.  He said that he was leading the congregation south and we were welcome to head north.  Not surprisingly, we left that church.
My husband and I were left extremely discouraged.  We decided to try a church that a family friend had recommended.  Once we attended there, it was like a breath of fresh air.  The pastor preached from God's Word.  He spoke out against Rick Warren, The Secret, Oprah, and The Shack.  He taught us about the errors of the Emergent Church , mysticism, and contemplative prayer.  For the first time in my life I felt like I belonged to a church family.  My husband, my parents, and I got involved in the church.  Our pastor introduced us to "The Way of the Master."  My husband began an evangelism ministry that was fully supported by our church.  He and a number of other men went to the "Ambassador's Academy."  Every Friday night they would go out and share the gospel.  This ministry was thriving.  We had friends, ministries we loved, and the truth from the pulpit.  Life was great!
After being at the church for a number of years, things began to change.  Our pastor became cold and distant.  He took a six month sabbatical and wrote a book.  His wife (who called me frequently) became inaccessible.  The church had an elders' board.  This was a unelected board.  The men on the board simply appointed new elders.  The head elder was always one of two men.  No others on the board would ever have this position. Our pastor became known as a "teaching elder."
Strange things began happening.  The evangelism ministry was called into question.  The elders wanted the open-air preaching to stop.  Apparently, there were some complaints from our community about this ministry.  The men in the ministry were adhering to all the laws and bylaws for our community.  This was just persecution.  An executive decision was made by the elders to dissolve the evangelism ministry.  The people in the ministry could still go out and witness but they could not use the church's name when witnessing.  They were to be completely separate from the church.
Around this time, a group named "Life Action Ministries" came to our church.  Prior to them coming, they sent a promoter.  It was kind of like what the circus would do in the old days.  Believe me, this was no less of a circus.  One of the men that came, spoke in detail about an adulterous affair he had had while on a business trip.  He credited "Life Action Ministries" with reviving him.  The whole thing was carefully scripted to elicit emotion from the congregation.  I knew that something was wrong with this ministry.
When their team visited our church eight weeks later, I was astounded.  They used every method of Charles Finney to manipulate the congregation.  They also endorsed Keswick Theology.  They believed that each Christian had to reach a crisis moment in their life.  At this point of crisis, they could achieve a second blessing or filling of the Holy Spirit.  The main speaker admitted that he had these revivals down to a "science."  He took many verses out of context in order to achieve his goals.  Microphones were set up at the front of the church so that people could go and confess their sins openly to the congregation.  People were told to write down their idols on Styrofoam cups.  They were then to come to the front of the church and crush these cups with their feet.
A cursory look at the website of "Life Action Ministries" revealed that they had no problem with mysticism.  They had numerous books for sale.  Including those by Henry Blackaby, Priscilla Shirer, Jim Cymbala, Gary Thomas, and Mark Batterson.   They also quoted Catholic mystics such as Henri Nouwen and Brother Lawrence.  Here is a link to their beliefs - http://www.lifeactionministries.ca/about/.  Through two visits to my church they raked in about $62,000.  This ministry has long tentacles.  They are involved in the SBC, Moody, and The True Woman Movement.
This ministry received a cult-like following at my church.  The women in my church decided to attend a True Woman Conference in 2012.  As I looked at the list of speakers, I became alarmed.  Priscilla Shirer was one of the speakers.  I've already outlined the problems with this woman in a previous blog post.  I contacted the True Woman organization regarding my concerns with this speaker.  I was told that this conference wasn't for a woman like me.  I also brought my concerns to my pastor ( teaching elder) and the head elder.  They weren't going to stop the women from attending but they would go over what mysticism was with them.  They appeared annoyed that I'd brought this to their attention.
Unfortunately, I soon learned that the women in my church were reading "Jesus Calling" and "1000 Gifts."  I discovered that the church library had books by Henry Blackaby and Richard Foster.  I became alarmed.  I brought my concerns to my pastor.  I was told that he and the elders couldn't police the church.  They had too many strings on their violin to deal with it.  If I kept bringing disunity to the church then I would find myself in a home church.   I also tried to ask questions about Tim Keller and John Piper.  Both of these men do not believe in a literal six day creation.  They were constantly being quoted by our assistant pastor.  I wanted some clarification about what to do with this errant belief.  My pastor - teaching elder- told me to have grace for this error.  He also hoped that I would have grace if he ever "fell." My husband, family, and I were puzzled by these words.  My Mom and I had used Facebook to try to warn the women of the church about Priscilla Shirer and to bring attention to these mystical books.  We soon found out that this was unappreciated.
On St. Patrick's Day 2013 my family was kicked out of our church.  My husband and I were not present that day.  My husband had to work and I was home with our son who was sick.  My husband had been trying for 8 months to be able to meet with the elders board regarding the evangelism ministry.  They were still against open air preaching and my husband wanted them to show him from Scripture where it was wrong.  Instead the elders used a back door approach to get rid of us.  They decided to kick my parents out.  Three elders surrounded my parents.  My daughter and brother were present.  They did this in a back pew at the end of a service so that everyone could see it.  They told my parents that they were no longer welcome to worship with them.  One elder expressed that his wife would miss my children.  The elders didn't like us warning the flock on Facebook.  Facebook wasn't to be used as an outreach or for evangelism.  They were also appalled that my Mom had shared a sermon by John MacArthur about the seven year tribulation.  Our pastor - teaching elder- had his own, very original thoughts regarding the end times.  We were to accept these and no other teachings.  Also, the head elder expressed three times that he had no problem with lectio divina, contemplative prayer, and mysticism.  He also expressed that the church was going with "Life Action Ministries."  He acted aggressively towards my parents.  He yelled at them saying, "Do you think you're smarter than me?"  Our pastor - teaching elder- was out in the hallway.  He was waiting for their report.  Finally, the horrible interview ended.  These elders had the audacity to end it in a prayer about unity.  They mumbled something about an official meeting where my parents could plead their case.  Unfortunately, they neglected to give the time and place.  As of this writing, my parents have heard nothing from any elder or leader from our former church.
We were absolutely stunned.  I walked around like I was in a fog.  My husband was working 14 hr. days, 7 days a week.  I received 2 calls from the youth pastor of the church.  Each one, I let go to the answering machine.  I was in shock.  I sat down to write a letter.  I put nine hours into it.  Everything I said was backed up with proof.  My husband and I sent it to our elders and a few selected friends.  The only letter we received back from the elders was one full of personal attacks.  What we said was true but our tone was critical.  We were also told that we were responsible for the loss of numerous friendships for our children.  I was stunned.
The next Sunday, a congregational meeting was held.  They stated that my family hadn't been kicked out.  Bits of my letter were read out of context.  A man who had eaten numerous dinners in our home, slandered my Mom and myself in front of the church.  A trusted friend told me what happened at this meeting.  All in all, the meeting was a complete snow job.  It was my family's word against the elders.  The elders were anointed by God.  How could they be wrong?
Since this horrible event, we have tried another church in our community. At this church, we were frozen out.  Apparently, they had heard our story from the elders at our former church.  They made sure to make us feel unwelcome.  We also experienced errant teaching while we were there.   Finally, we couldn't handle their unkindness towards us any longer.  So we decided to start a home church.
Another couple who had also been kicked out of our former church began joining us.  They were dismissed for Facebook infractions as well.  Each Sunday we meet in our home to sing and listen to a sermon podcast.  We also share in communion.  It has been a time of growth.  We have learned so much about doctrine.  We'd never been taught doctrine at all.  We were always told that it was divisive.  Finally, we understand doctrine. *NOTE*  By doctrine I am referring to Calvinism vs. Arminianism.  Election and predestination.  The eternal security of the salvation of believers.  These important doctrines were not discussed at my former church.  Doctrine was considered divisive.
I'm hoping that through sharing this that I can get over the trauma.  Perhaps some of you have experienced this type of abuse.  That is all I can call it - abuse.
Romans 8:18 " For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us."
Amendment * A self-appointed or unelected elder is not an elder if they do not meet the qualifications outlined in Scripture.  These qualifications are found in Titus 1:5-9 and in 1Tim. 3:1-6.  Elders in a faithful New Testament Church should be reviewed frequently to ensure that these standards are being met in their lives.  If this isn't happening at your church then you have a situation that is ripe for church abuse.



24 comments:

  1. Jenna, I am so sorry you and your family have gone through this. It is a strong sense of betrayal. You are not alone. Unfortunately, this attitude is becoming the norm, and these things happened at our former church as well. One of our members who "blew the whistle," so to speak, as you and your family, were sent out of the church and sent a letter demanding an apology. Those of us who tried to warn the pastor and elders were told where the door was, given the cold shoulder, told we were divisive, etc. etc. Same play, different cast. More and more of us have become church refugees, looking for a church home, but being more and more wary, always looking over our shoulders for the next attack of wolves. Hugs to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words. I'm finding that more and more people are experiencing the same kind of abuse. Many people don't have a lot of options when it comes to finding a new church.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for posting and praying for you and your home church. May the Lord bless you and grow you in grace. And if He is pleased, even establish a new church work that holds fast to His Word. We are reformed Presbyterian and currently working toward a church plant/mission work after a similar experience and being unable to find anywhere where worship was according to God's Word and where the full counsel of God was preached and taught. Lifting you in prayer that you might grow in the knowledge of the Lord. So thankful that all that happens in our life, for those who are trusting in Christ, is for our eternal good and more importantly, the glory of His Name. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I will be remembering you in prayer as you work towards establishing mission work/church plant. My family has grown so much and I'm thankful to the Lord! I know that He is there with us through the trials we experience in our Christian walk.

      Delete
  3. Horrifying what is being done to the sheep of God's flock... by those calling themselves Christians. You would be shocked how common this is getting. Something very similar happened to us too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry that you experienced something similar. It is a terrible experience. I'll be remembering you in prayer.

      Delete
  4. Jenna, this was particularly painful for me to read. So many of us have been in your shoes. May I share this on our SUFTT website?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, you are more than welcome to share it. I hope my experience might encourage others.

      Delete
  5. Dear Jenna,

    I forgot to ask you who your pastor was that "took a sixth month sabbatical and wrote a book", the name of the book, and the name of the church?
    Thanks James rock.salt@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know your pain. Went through something similar although not quite as horrific as that. We got our Twofer--first and second warning in one pre-planned meeting with 9 of the elders. That was a new one to us.

    I believe God is sifting the churches, both by sheep and by shepherd. I'm seeing more people like us grieve at what they see and are crying out to God b/c there is a famine in the land for His Word and His churches. I also see Him removing men who have been filling the pulpit for decades, some with a reputation as solid, some not, but both leaving "the calling", thus proving they are either unqualified to begin with or they are currently in rebellion against that calling. Either way it's bad news. He must be returning soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Denise. There are too many churches that have been over run with goats. Many Christians are being persecuted from within their own churches.

      Delete
  7. Dear Jenna; We have left churches for the same reasons. I am a pastor of the Pentwater, Michigan Bible Church. Here we teach the Bible line by line each Sunday morning at 11:00 AM EST. I am attaching a link to me messages on SermonAudio.com if you are interested. We also broadcast our service on a program called Instant Presenter. If you were interested I could send you an invitation to come into our service via the internet. Others do with the same experiences you have had. Here is the link to the sermons (Bible Teaching actually) from primarily Sunday morning. http://www.sermonaudio.com/source_detail.asp?sourceid=doctorwoodhead. If you send me an e-mail to daniel.woodhead@pentwaterbiblechurch.com I will send you an invitation to join us with your home church. God Bless you. Pastor Daniel Woodhead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I will have to check out your sermons.

      Delete
  8. Wow. There are so many things I could say about this. First, I'm sorry you and your family went through this. I have experienced much of what you are sharing...some not as blatant and more subtle...but definitely all classified as spiritual abuse! Its disgusting to say the least but God in His infinite wisdom is preparing His true church for His return through many different means. I too write about my experiences and its very helpful in the healing process! Its also a comfort and aid to others going through similar situations. This is so common now, its just amazing how many abused people are fleeing the visible church. I thank God He delivered you from that situation that couldve gotten much worse and I pray that He will heal your hearts and lead and guide you where He would have you to be. It will get better with time. God be with you all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so thankful for your encouraging words. I believe that this blog will help me to heal.

      Delete
  9. Jenna, I hate to say it, but I am not surprised with this one bit. We have been asked officially to leave one church, but felt that many others have closed us out. I ask too many questions. I challenge wrong doctrine. I have told pastors that they were - gasp - wrong! I have tried to do these things in kind and respectful ways, but no good ever comes of it. I cannot sit down and be quiet in the face of these things. For many reasons, we have decided that we are just "done" with church. We are tired of the game-playing, the favoritism, the cliquishness, the financial irresponsibility. And sick of the bad theology, the excuses to not preach the Gospel, the questioning of the Bible. We can't get into the loud, emotional worship with poor music. We miss the feeling of holiness in the church.
    We do have a small group from a church that we meet with. They are glad to have us there, and do not pressure us about being part of the their church. I wouldn't mind trying a "house church," but at this point, do not feel led to start one.
    I wish no one was in the position we are in, but it is good to know that there are others that still stand up for what is right, and flee from what is wrong. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally relate to your feeling of the loss of holiness in the church. Our house church includes 10 people. We view a podcast sermon and sing songs together. It is tough to experience abandonment, especially when you trusted these people to be your friends. Standing up for the truth is a discouraging business. In this postmodern era everything is welcome in churches. Everything but truth. Truth is unloving and critical. Many people keep their mouths shut about the truth in order to keep their social life. I'm glad that my family took a stand. It is a lonely road at times. It helps me to remember that our Saviour was a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief. Be encouraged!

      Delete
  10. I'm very sorry that this happened to you. Unfortunately it will become worse as we are in the last days. There is good and bad in all denominations and the more I think I know the more Jesus shows by the Holy Spirit and His Word how much more I need to learn. The Lord will deal with those who treated you wrongly and the Bible says you are blessed when they put you out of the synagogue because the Spirit of Christ rests upon you. Stay Encouraged!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jenna-

    I want to let you know how much your story resonated with me, and mostly it encouraged me to keep on contending!
    My family left our church of 8 years to step out for one year with a new church plant that our denomination was supporting and it did not take long to see that something was way off. The pastor and his wife were deeply committed to the false teaching of Tim Keller, and every "modern church growth" heresy you can imagine. I spent 150+ hours researching Keller and he is deeply committed to undoing biblical Christianity, all the while cleverly presenting himself as "one of us".
    When I met privately with the pastor and his wife I was marginalized and assured that all my concerns were completely illegitimate, as they quickly reminded me of Keller's impressive credentials. I would find out later that when those remaining in the church plant asked what happened to my family, the pastor informed them that we "just weren't cut out for church planting". I don't believe that is true.
    I am back at my original church now and beginning to see some concerning ideas creep in- a home church is sounding like the best option for us.
    Thank you for publicly posting your story- as it reminds those of us who feel so alone that you all are out there contending too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. As I read your blog and the comments on here a few things came to mind:
    - Jenna, I am sorry for any pain you have endured.
    - I am left thinking 1 Tim. 5:19. Its pretty tough to back up this level of accusations with multiple witnesses on a personal blog written by one person. Leaving out names doesn't help you escape slander. Everyone can easily find out what church you are talking about as well as the individuals, so just a little warning there, don't fool yourself.
    - To those offering comments and condolences etc. Keep Proverbs 18:17 in mind before you choose a side. This is one of the most basic steps of discernment.
    - On examining your article Jenna, your emotions are getting the better of you so that you are exaggerating your situation and experiences. For example, at the end of your article you wrote, "We'd never been taught doctrine at all." Yet you previously wrote, "Once we attended there, it was like a breath of fresh air. The pastor preached from God's Word. He spoke out against Rick Warren, The Secret, Oprah, and The Shack. He taught us about the errors of the Emergent Church , mysticism, and contemplative prayer. For the first time in my life I felt like I belonged to a church family. My husband, my parents, and I got involved in the church. Our pastor introduced us to "The Way of the Master." My husband began an evangelism ministry that was fully supported by our church. He and a number of other men went to the "Ambassador's Academy." Every Friday night they would go out and share the gospel. This ministry was thriving. We had friends, ministries we loved, and the truth from the pulpit. Life was great!"
    - Judging from the above contradiction, you are not innocent in this. I have been around many of these situations. There is always two sides.
    - I hope and pray you can find reconciliation with your brothers and sisters. We all have to have grace for each other when it comes to doctrinal disagreements. There is a big difference between error and false teaching to be separated from. Paul's relationship with the Corinthian church comes to mind. It was a lot worse than your situation: doctrinal error, sin, slander. But Paul didn't bail. He kept his hope in the Lord and the Holy Spirit who indwells every believer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a reply to Anonymous , I am Jenna`s father and both my wife, son,and granddaughter were witnesses to this event. The reason why we can recall it, word for word, is because it is still etched in our memory. The head elder turned on us and we have never witnessed such a "Jekyll and Hyde" switch of character. It seems as though you would have personal knowledge of this event because you seem to think this post is embellished. If you are a member or leader in this church, I would wonder why you haven`t bothered to hear all sides. This post is a statement of fact.

      Delete
  13. I guess what I mean by doctrine is that we were never taught Calvinism vs. Arminianism. The doctrine of election was never mentioned at all. When I think of doctrine that is what I mean. We were never taught about the eternal security of our salvation. I don't consider warnings about the Emergent church, contemplative prayer, and mysticism to be doctrine. That is my unlearned opinion. Next, we didn't bail. My family was disposed of. The only thing I am guilty of is not speaking out sooner about the mysticism that was coming into the church. Also, the things that we were once warned against became acceptable. My situation has not been exaggerated. This is what happened. When abusive people get into church leadership they will run out the sheep that are trying to hold the line on truth. Also, Paul had a voice within the Corinthian church. We did not. The two situations can't be compared. This blog was to help encourage others who have been in the same situation. If it is slanderous, then why has not a single person from my old church called me out on it? The truth is that the above mentioned issues did occur. I read and think - wow who can believe this all happened? Yet, it did. It honestly did. No embellishments or exaggerations.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Also, try to think about what I gain from writing this. Absolutely nothing. There is no discussing anything with people from my former church. This situation has been extremely traumatic for me and I have lost all trust in the Evangelical Industrial Complex.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Truly heartbreaking....my family has endured much pain! Perhaps, if you would like to tell " your side" and feel so inclined to apologize if you are one of the gang of men who so very unlovingly tossed my family out of your church. Examine yourselves...such a cowardly thing to do. My loved ones have been utterly humiliated at the hands of "Godly men"!! I am praying for my family's healing. Shame on you Pastors and Elders...This is sickening! Do not continue to harass my family through hateful letters and condescending talk...you know who you are!!

    ReplyDelete